Function: Cloud Services
Location: US, CO, DenverApply Now
You are tasked with the overall performance and availability of Catalyst's database installations, and will serve as an expert for SQL development work and development consulting.
Will this job requires you be able to work with a great degree of autonomy. Because your work will have visibility by other department directors and upper management, frequent communication with your manager concerning projects and issues is expected.
You are great at:
• Install and configure MSSQL, and document procedures to meet company policy requirements for access security, availability and disaster recovery.
• Establish/maintain MSSQL server security guidelines and practices with the ability to audit all security actions.
• Collaborate in the planning phase of any new or modified business operation that employs the use of any SQL service, acting as an expert adviser.
• Anticipate and plan for platform expansion where necessary, keeping in mind cost savings (acquisition and recurring) and expansion options.
• Establish/maintain effective customer points of contact for collaboration and troubleshooting projects related to existing and new business.
• Establish/confirm active monitoring of the SQL services and schemas.
• Implement a system to evaluate and apply service upgrades, accounting for potential breaking changes in vendor versions. This includes major SQL version upgrades/migrations. Consider customer departments (Development, Grand Central Operations, Matter Business Operations, Resolution Center) usage and schedules.
• Provide visibility to and understanding of cost to your customers for their use of platform resource consumption, as an aid in planning out their use of the limited resources.
Performance and KPIs
• Completes required OpenText training, certification and objectives within the assigned time frame.
• Reports to Senior Manager, Data Engineering
What it takes:
• Has as deep knowledge of relational databases, specifically Microsoft SQL Server.
• Expert in security considerations and implementation for the Windows Server operating system, SQL server 2017, and database schemas and objects.
• Proficient in writing complex T-SQL queries.
• Proficient in creating SQL objects (tables, indexes, cursors, stored procedures, triggers, views, temporary tables).
• Understands, can implement and troubleshoot HA solutions like failover clustering, availability groups, mirroring and log shipping.
• Has a good understanding of dependent system hardware, storage subsystems, and networking and common SQL-related data protocols (native SQL, MySQL/MariaDB, ODBC).
• Can work work directly with project managers, infrastructure engineers and software developers to design and implement data systems that meet business requirements.
• Has strong analytical skills as applied to information technology, and can work independently of others in an assignment.
• Raises awareness on issues that can negatively impact delivering on time and to set specifications.
• Communicates concepts and instructions clearly both verbally and in written form.
• Understands how to accurately and tactfully address technical needs against budgetary considerations.
• Has a desire to keep current with knowledge of technologies, learning new technologies, mastering them, and distributing that knowledge to teammates.
• Can speak honestly, openly and tactfully with both managers and customers as a collaborator, adviser or lead.
• An understanding of MSSQL Server 2017 on Linux (Docker container instances) is a plus.
• Experience with MySQL, and MariaDB is a plus.
• Required to abide by company policies and adhere to compliance and security of company information, client data and personnel security.
• All prospective employees must pass a background check.
• Office environment; keyboarding, writing, speaking with others.
• Sitting, standing, bending, twisting, lifting up to 20 lbs.
• Spending long hours looking at a computer screen.
At OpenText we understand and value diversity in our employees and are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We hire the best talent regardless of race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sex, age, veteran status or sexual orientation. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process please email email@example.com. Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws including but not limited to: Family and Medical Leave Act (FLMA), Equal Employment Opportunity and Employee Polygraph Protection Act