Function: Cloud Services
Location: US, GA, AlpharettaApply Now
A Senior Application Engineer is responsible for deployment and support of complex software solutions in a highly mixed production environment of Windows and Red Hat Linux systems.
Responsibilities include the development of scripts, procedures, and standards for commercial solutions within the Messaging Team. Additional responsibilities include participation in the planning and execution of disaster recovery drills, and data center infrastructure projects for the applications supported. The applications being deployed must be highly automated and require minimal intervention once in production. Adherence to established best practices for application packaging, deployment, monitoring, housekeeping, security, disaster recovery, and backups is essential and required. It is also essential that detailed documentation be maintained so that all members of the team are able to share on-call support responsibility on a rotating schedule. The successful candidate is expected to strictly follow change management policies designed to ensure proper planning and risk mitigation. Changes are done both during the day and off hours, including weekends.
The application engineer regularly works with others in Operations, Product Development, other application engineering groups, platform engineers, system performance engineers, and network engineers.
You are great at:
• Participate in Change management meetings, readiness reviews, operations meeting etc. as required.
• Ability to participate in a rotational 24x7 on call roster.
• Ability to participate in off hours and weekend maintenance windows.
• Respond to incident calls.
• Proactively drive troubleshooting issues.
• Be self-directed and have the ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
• Produce documentation for team processes.
• Prioritize and adjust dates of planned work activities as required keeping customer or service impacts to a minimum.
• Work with project managers to insure projects have required changes necessary to meet project timelines.
• Represent the Trading Grid Messaging Team in the CAB and CEB meetings.
• Propose creative solutions or alternatives balancing risk, complexity and effort to meet requirements.
What it takes:
• BS or MS in Computer Science or MIS, or equivalent. With a minimum of three years experience in data communications and networking.
• ITIL accreditation an asset.
• Ability to analyze data and form conclusions using data from a wide range of data sources.
• Excellent working knowledge of personal computers and applications
• Must be comfortable communicating the relevant aspects of technology
• Excellent interpersonal communications and negotiating skills, the ability to analyze data and form conclusions based on information from a variety of sources, the ability to work well with people. Must be flexible and adaptable to continuous change.
• Good knowledge of company services, products and procedures.
• Must be able to learn and understand the OpenText Messaging application.
• Knowledge of the HP Service Management software a plus.
• Excellent communication and time management skills
• Experience liaising with groups of people across several geographies
• 7-10 years of Unix/Linux system administration experience
• Minimum of 5 years experience deploying and supporting production applications
• Thorough understanding of the software development life cycle
• Experience with J2EE servers/servlet engines. Weblogic 10g, Weblogic 11g, Tomcat Containers, Fuse MQ
• Proficiency in writing scripts (bash, ksh, perl, Expect, AWK, Python is a plus)
- Must be well versed in Internet protocols (DNS, HTTP, SMTP, SSL, SML, etc.)
• Experienced supporting customer applications in a commercial environment.
• Must have excellent trouble shooting skills and experience isolating/resolving highly complex issues
• Disciplined at developing and maintaining detailed documentation of work
• Ability to work independently and participate as a member of a cross-functional team
• Organized and able to prioritize multiple projects in a fast paced setting
• Good written and verbal skills
• Strong Problem solving skills.
At OpenText we understand and value diversity in our employees and are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We hire the best talent regardless of race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sex, age, veteran status or sexual orientation. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws including but not limited to: Family and Medical Leave Act (FLMA), Equal Employment Opportunity and Employee Polygraph Protection Act