OPENTEXT - THE INFORMATION COMPANY
As the Information Company, our mission at OpenText is to create software solutions and deliver services that redefine the future of digital. Be part of a winning team that leads the way in Enterprise Information Management. The Opportunity:
A rare opportunity has arisen for an Employment Counsel to cover the whole spectrum of employment law for all of OpenText’s operations in Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA). This is a new role, so the successful candidate will have the opportunity to shape the delivery of a best in class service with acquired knowledge and expertise
The role will report to the SVP & General Counsel based in Reading, UK and can be based either in OpenText’s office in Reading, UK or in Munich, Germany.
- providing high quality, practical legal support to OpenText with a focus on international HR/employment matters
- managing litigation and pre-litigation disputes in close collaboration with OpenText’s local in-house counsel, as well as external legal counsel
- developing and reviewing employment contracts and policies
- conducting internal and external investigations together with HR and/or OpenText’s compliance function
- delivering thoughtful, fit-for-purpose advice to HR on day-to-day issues (including grievance, performance and conduct management, terminations, leaves of absence, compensation and benefits) in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
- working with OpenText’s employee relations function in addressing all matters related to collective employment law and our works councils in France, the Netherlands and Germany
- providing support for various corporate initiatives and projects requiring International employment law expertise, such as cross border mergers and acquisitions, reorganizations, divestments and outsourcing
- Delivering legal updates and training to HR and business managers with a view to educating and managing risks across the organization
What it takes:
- Flexibility, resourcefulness, adaptability - candidates must be comfortable working in a fluid environment and eager to delve into new areas as needed, and undertake projects in diverse fields
- Open, collaborative team approach - must be able to work independently, but at the same time it is imperative that candidates are consummate team players
- Analytical with strong problem solving skills – must be detail oriented but not lose sight of the bigger picture
- Communication Skills - superb written and oral communication skills
- Client Orientation - a business minded lawyer who is responsive to client needs and brings a clear, pragmatic, solution driven sensibility, coupled with sound judgment.
- Hands-On Approach - roll-up-the-sleeves lawyer with a "can-do" attitude
- Good academic background
- Must have extensive experience and knowledge in international individual and collective employment laws, in particular English, German and French laws.
- Previous in-house background desired (but not essential)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Fluency in English as well as in German and preferably French.