OPENTEXT - THE INFORMATION COMPANY
As the Information Company, our mission at OpenText is to create software solutions and deliver services that redefine the future of digital. Be part of a winning team that leads the way in Enterprise Information Management.
User Experience Designers at Open Text research, design, prototype and test software products that solve critical business needs of our customers. Through a sound understanding of the underlying architecture, product vision and requirements, we create compelling, usable user interfaces for complex enterprise software applications across desktop, web, tablet and mobile platforms. We work as essential development team members in a highly collaborative, agile environment to create industry leading Enterprise Information Management software solutions.
You are great at:
- Maintain sound understanding of the underlying architecture of the system being developed in order to create designs that are both supported and work within defined technical constraints.
- Conceptualize, design and deliver intuitive and compelling designs for a complex, multiplatform (windows desktop, mac desktop, iOS mobile, iOS tablet, Androd mobile, Android tablet, blackberry mobile, web/browsers, Java, etc.) product suite that clearly support customer needs and business objectives.
- Work with R&D leadership, Product Management, and Architecture teams to create a shared understanding of the impact of technical, architectural, and platform decisions on the user experience.
- Create interactive prototypes as proof of concept of the software product solution, serving as the starting point for requirements validation, conceptual design validation and basis for iterative development activities.
- Work within product development teams to guide and support day to day technical decision making that impacts the user experience.
- Support Program and Product Management by performing user research, developing ongoing relationships with customers to build a shared understanding of their problems and needs.
- Work with Product Management in helping to define requirements that create the product backlog and define the user experience vision for the product.
- Act as subject matter expert on the user experience capabilities, limitations, and tradeoffs presented by various platforms, technologies, and frameworks.
- Identify and create user personas, buyer personas, and usage scenarios.
- Advocate user needs throughout the development lifecycle in an agile/iterative environment to ensure the team develops the right product.
- Validate designs with customers and other stakeholders through usability testing and statistical analysis of results in order to drive iterative improvements throughout the development lifecycle, as well as establish usability test measurements through a standardized scorecard.
- Coordinate among multiple designers supporting a suite of products, line of business or business unit.
- Maintain a cohesive user experience strategy for area of immediate responsibility and coordinate with other designers on cross-company UXD strategy. Researches and evaluates new product UXD support opportunities.
- Participate in customer site visits, beta test visits, customer briefings, customer councils, user group meetings, technical conferences, seminars, etc. as appropriate and as budget permits. Creatively engage with customers via virtual councils, webex sessions, and other remote technologies, especially when limited budget opportunities persist.
- Mentor peers, stakeholders, and teammates on customer-centered design principles and methodologies.
- Contribute to and help champion User Experience Design team initiatives, such as creation of design guidelines, process enhancements, toolkits, etc., fostering a customer-centered culture.
- Bring awareness of competitive software and emerging advances in the User Experience field, including interaction design, usability, user-centered design methods and state-of-the-art user interface technology into the company.
- Assist management to ensure proper workload balancing among other user experience designers as appropriate.
- Provide budget information to management for planning purposes. Assists management in developing budgets to ensure foresight and accuracy.
- Assist management in recruiting and staffing efforts, helping with initial applicant screening, on-site interviews and evaluations.
- Help drive awareness of the UXD team both inside and outside the company.
What it takes:
- 7+ years working with an experience design team… applicants with eclectic backgrounds welcome
- Passionate about creating products that best serve the needs of the user
- Effective at influencing and convincing colleagues, and highly motivated to effect change
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, with the ability to conceptualize complex systems
- Demonstrated results-oriented work ethic and consistent record of meeting deadlines
- Excellent listener, facilitator, communicator, and team player
- Self-reliant, used to taking initiative, and great at follow-up
- Creative, with solid understanding of interaction design best practices / principles
- Requirements gathering and analysis
- Creation of user personas
- Task and workflow analysis
- Prototyping (paper and click-through interactive)
- Heuristic evaluation and expert walk-throughs
- Usability test creation, including scripts, metrics and standard testing protocol.
- Statistical analysis of results and creation of reports including a standardized usability test scorecard.
- Good analytical and organizational skills including the ability to organize and prioritize tasks
- Ability to work both independently and in a highly collaborate environment as part of a global User Experience Design team
- Ability to shift among multiple projects as needed in rapid, agile software development environment
- Goal driven; plans and manages toward achieving goals, anticipates problems and issues and proactively drives their resolution
- Prior experience doing UX within an Agile environment would be an asset
- Experience with a variety of UI design and prototyping tools, e.g. Visio, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Axure, Balsamiq, Flash, etc.
- Knowledge of GUI accessibility standards (Section 508, WCAG, etc.) a plus
- Knowledge of Enterprise Content Management (ECM) products would be an asset
- Degree in HCI, Human Factors Engineering, Cognitive Science, Interaction Design, Computer Science, Industrial Design, Graphic Design or related experience. Master’s preferred.
At OpenText we understand and value diversity in our employees and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We hire the best talent regardless of race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sex, age, veteran status or sexual orientation. We draw on our diversity and collective genius as we continue to shape a better future for our customers and be the Best Place to Work for our employees- nothing is off the table at OpenText. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process please email firstname.lastname@example.org